Wednesday Wellness: Household Items That Are Toxic For Your Dog
Life with a puppy for the first time can be stressful for a dog parent. With their curious nature and our inability to watch them every second, keeping them from investigating the scene is an impossible task.
Unfortunately, this is not a task that can be brushed under the rug for the sake of your companion’s well-being. With the ASPCA Poison Control Center handling 375 cases a day on average, the need to control where your dog’s curiosity takes him is a must.
Luckily, there is an opportunity to work “smarter not harder”. We all know eliminating curiosity isn’t an option. Instead of following your hairy ball of energy everywhere and attempting to micromanage his behavior, try danger proofing the puppy area and keep it toxin free. The best way to go about this process is having knowledge of toxic items that can potentially be found in your dog’s routine path.
Toxic foods are a common problem since we assume what is harmless to us would be harmless to our pets. There are a handful of common foods that cause kidney/liver damage, heart complications, and cause other health issues in dogs. In some cases, these effects are intesified depending on the dogs size and weight.
Although chemicals are generally less desirable for your pet to get into, the harm potential is usually much greater. Antifreeze however, is a double edged sword because it is one of the most harmful chemicals to ingest and its sweet taste attracts dogs. Ingesting Antifreeze for your dog is as simple as drinking run-off out of a full parking lot after a rain storm.
With the knowledge of these harmful items, you can anticipate possible ways your dog might come into contact with them. For instance, if your dog likes to rough house around the living area while you're gone, consider the possibility that the wine bottle might get bumped from the counter and become an afternoon treat. Take the time to put the bottle in a cabinet where it is next to impossible for your dog to contact.
Take precaution by making the extra effort to keep toxic items out of sight and out of mind for you and your pup. If your dog happens to get into something you think could possibly be a threat, contact your vet, local animal hospital, or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.
Photo Courtesy of CJ Sorg